- Execute planned maintenance inspections on various mechanical plants and equipment, making use of mechanical theories to effectively interpret conditions of plant and equipment and determine causes thereof.
- Compile reports on the status of inspected equipment
- Submit report with recommendations to Supervisor
- Identify resources required to execute required maintenance
- Plan execution of recommended maintenance activities
- Execute planned maintenance as per plan.
- Report back to Supervisor on completed work
- Respond to breakdown of equipment and plant
- Assess the extent and cause of failure
- Identify the best remedial action to be taken, taking into account the impact of downtime and cost of repair.
- Inform Supervisor of the failure/breakdown and request required spares
- Execute repairs to failed equipment or plant and commission. Ensure high quality of workmanship to prevent recurrence of failure.
- Interpret drawings (PFD’s, P&ID’s and Structural) to assemble plant and equipment as requested by internal clients
- Design manufacture and install water, air, gas and steam reticulation according to relevant quality and safety standards.
- Commission pilot plants
- Assists internal clients in decommissioning pilot plants
- Perform risk assessment before carrying out work
- Supervise subordinates and ensure they work safely
- Act in the Foreman position in the absence of Foreman
- Ensure high quality of work in all maintenance activities
- Minimise wastage of materials and spares when maintaining equipment or making new fixtures or structures.
- Perform standby duties, responding to calls after hours regarding failed equipment, plant and services
- Mentor trainees
- Grade 12 / N3
- Fitter Trade Certificate
- Training - 3 years on the job training