Chief Operator: Facilities and Operations (Re-advert)
- Responsible for logistics and operational issues, including the commissioning, maintenance, and operation of laboratory and pilot scale furnace facilities, in the Pyrometallurgy Division.
- Assisting in handling and processing of solid and molten materials in a safe and responsible manner.
- Prepare equipment and facilities for use and check the operability of standard equipment and facilities to ensure that they are ready for use, and must provide technical and procedural advice to staff on how to operate equipment, which equipment settings are the optimal, etc.
- General management and coordination of bulk sample storage areas (e.g. steel shed, bushed and other storage areas)
- Coordinating bulk deliveries, dispatch, and storage of bulk materials, including keeping updated inventories to allow effective retrieval.
- Coordinating housekeeping and maintaining bulk storage areas and materials to ensure materials are stored properly to avoid contamination and/or degradation.
- Undertaking preparation of bulk samples such as screening, blending, mixing, and drying as well as re-bagging
- Assisting in refractory lining of pilot furnaces and other general pilot facility preparation activities
- Coordinating the collection and delivery of required raw materials from storage to pilot bays for campaigns or test work, including coordinating the handling and tipping of products from ladles, separation of products, crushing to smaller lumps, bagging, weighing, and labelling during pilot campaigns.
- Contributing to continuous improvement efforts on infrastructure through standardization of procedures while delivering on performance against agreed metrics. This includes conducting detailed investigations into facility bottlenecks, understanding root causes, and establishing control measures to prevent reoccurrence.
- Providing technical support to internal and external clients to ascertain scope requirements and to timeously deliver on research and commercial projects, including supervision and training of O- and P-level operators, interns and contractors involved.
- Evaluating facilities, processes, systems, products, or new developments to identify opportunities and deficiencies to ensure continuous improvement.
- Conform to all relevant SHEQ procedures, guidelines, and rules, and ensure that relevant risks and hazards are identified and managed through Mintek-approved risk assessments and procedures. This includes ensuring that all relevant SOPs are up to date and complied with.
- Team player who enjoys working on a variety of tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a stressful and demanding environment
- Ability to manage shifts and work in hot and dusty plant environments
- 10 years’ experience in the operation of relevant pyrometallurgical unit processes and/or equipment.
- Knowledge or experience with SHEQ systems is non-negotiable.
- A strong understanding of electric arc furnaces and raw materials handling is highly advantageous.
- Physically fit
- Grade 12
- Trade certificate in a relevant field is an added